Saturday, July 15, 2017

My view on comic art today

It has been a while since I posted up anything. Just really haven't had much to talk about or share. I guess I could review some of the movies I have seen or some blu-rays that I am pretty disappointed with but not sure my opinion on these things really matter. Not that my opinion on comic art really means a whole lot either but at least it is something I have a little experience with doing.

In my humble opinion I think today's comic art is way too polished. I see a lot of artist really roughing the art out to the point where it grasps me more as commercial art then an actual art form. In no way shape or form am I saying there aren't great artist out there today. There are a ton of them and they are beyond talented and skilled. I just feel that comic art has become so polished and refined that you lose the artist in it.

I look back at artist like Micheal Golden, Art Adams, Mcfarlane, Liefeld, Lee, and just about any artist that actually has name recognition, and they had flare in their art. Most still do. They do not polish the work to the point where it looks like something that no longer has a life. Art is an extension of one's self. Yet in books today it is hard for me to tell who is doing what and what artist is on what book.

Now like anything there is exceptions to what I am saying. So don't get your panties in a bind. I am not saying I don't like the artist of today. I think most of them are way too talented to get the scraps they are getting paid by the comic industry. I mean they are probably some of the greatest artist alive but really don't get that credit. I just think comic art today has lost the heart it use to have. Could be due to some of the writing too. Without a great story art can suffer and mixing political views with comic art can really just make you dislike something that doesn't really deserve it.

I would love to see more artist being able to just do what they want on books. Seeing them grow and learning from them as they learn. That was the enjoyment I got out of comics. These is probably why I enjoy indy books more now then mainstream. The indy guys do it with heart. Yeah, it may not be as polished but that is part of the joy in it. These guys and gals are doing it because they love it and they have a story to tell.

So, if you are an artist, please don't let your art be pigeon holed due to try to find a job. In the long run it will hurt you because you will not grow and you fall victim to the hundreds and hundreds of unknown artist that exist in these companies Rolodex. Hey that is just my opinion though.

No comments: