Sunday, July 02, 2017

Creating something of value-part 3

The main reason I posted the first two parts was to get us to this part. This part on the subject is based on all my years of experience. This is my process. This doesn't mean that this is the definitive way to create something that has value to it. You will find out that this is just my way of learning from my mistakes and trying to grow from them. So lets go.

First off, we need to understand what does "value" actually mean? The dictionary's definition of it is:
  1. 1:  the monetary worth of something :  market price
  2. 2:  a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged
  3. 3:  relative worth, utility, or importance a good value at the price the value of base stealing in baseball had nothing of value to say
  4. 4:  something (such as a principle or quality) intrinsically valuable or desirablesought material values instead of human values — W. H. Jones
  5. 5:  a numerical quantity that is assigned or is determined by calculation or measurement let x take on positive values value for the age of the earth
  6. 6:  the relative duration of a musical note
  7. 7a :  relative lightness or darkness of a color :  luminosityb :  the relation of one part in a picture to another with respect to lightness and darkness
  8. Now, reading the definition can get us going in the right direction. Personally, I think, value to me can also mean anything that gives you enjoyment. So, in the end, you are going to have to figure out what it means to you and what it will take for you to reach the level in your work that is going to bring you to that level.
  9. Secondly, prepare for mistakes. I know some folks may put this as one of the last steps because with the right preparation you should not make any mistakes, but the truth is that when you work in any type of entertainment industry then you are going to have unforeseen problems. Somethings you just can't prepare for such as fans reaction to what you are making. So go into it knowing you are going to make some mistakes and that is fine because the mistakes don't define us but what we do after them is what defines us. Use your mistakes to learn and grow. Look at mistakes as a positive. You can never improve if you don't make mistakes. It is a very important part of the process. The process that will give you more than the successful parts will in my opinion. 
  10. Thirdly, what is your purpose in creating? Now, you can have more then just one reason for wanting to create something but you really need to be honest with yourself here because it will help you the most with creating. Now, if you create something with a certain purpose and it doesn't reach other reasons, like making money, then don't get upset. You are the one that set the value for your creation. If your value is just to create, and you do just that, then don't get upset if you don't have success in other areas. This isn't saying that you will not have success in other sections of value but if you set your goal on one thing and don't achieve another then there is nothing wrong with that and should not be seen as a negative.
  11. Fourthly, once you figure out the purpose then it will be easier to figure out what you should create. If you want to do a super hero book can be a great vehicle for teaching moral lessons and entertainment. Apocalyptic books can be a great vehicle for telling lessons of warning. On and on. You will just have to figure out what you are trying to convey to others.
  12. Next, focus on production. In comics there are so many different ways of doing this that I am not going to focus on them here. Maybe, if someone wants me too, I will do a later blog telling of my process of production and what I consider to be major points of interest. 
  13. Next is marketing. This is still something I am learning. I use to feel that if you created a great product that they would find you but that isn't the truth. That is probably the farthest thing from the truth. What I have noticed is that you have to be a salesman all the time. This is hard for me because I just don't like shoving my product on people and due to the fact I don't do that makes me lose to those that do. It is a tough truth but the truth. You have to understand how to use the tools available like Facebook, Twitter and instagram. Learn to avoid landmines like politics and personal religious beliefs. Some folks will not care but others will go out of their way to make sure you fail. 
  14. Lastly, shipping the product. Make sure you spend the time to get your product to those that bought it. Sounds simple but I failed horribly with my Kickstarter I did. It just became way to overwhelming and my health made it extremely hard to meet this part. Nothing kills a business faster then when you can't deliver what you promise. 
  15. So, there you have a short overview of my thoughts on the subject. There is plenty on here that I could expand on and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I hope this helped. 

No comments: