Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Gun Ghoul: The creation that irritates me.

So way back in '08 I posted up a simple warm up sketch that would haunt me until this day. During my warm ups I doodled out my character which is now known as "Gun Ghoul".

The reaction to this character blew me away. It was something that I did not put any kind of thought in and really had no idea who or what the character actually was at the time.

I was hounded to do something with the character by fans on deviant art and decided to do a mini series with the character. At this point I still had no idea who or what the character was or is. I basically let the story tell itself and I fleshed it out as we did the mini series. The character turned into a mix of The Crow and Ghost Rider with a dash of Grifter.

Looking back I am pretty proud as to how the whole mini series turned out considering I had no clue what the story was or how to tell it. The story itself is not what irritates me about the creation; it is the design.

Ever since I did that design back in '08 folks have ripped it off. I mean it is everywhere and the kicker is that most folks don't understand that I have had this character now for almost ten years. So the designs coming out makes it look like I ripped them off due to the fact that most the designs are coming from big companies like Warner Bros. animation and the Overwatch video game. It drives me crazy. Plus, there are so many indy comic guys that flat out stole the design too. One in particular is a character called "Tool Boi". I think that is the name of it.  And I can't tell you how many folks have ripped off my collar design and added it to their characters.

Now I am not saying my character is all that original in design. It borrows heavily from an anime called "Trigun" but my take from that design was just accidental. I never noticed how much I took from it until years later.

To this day I am bombarded with folks wanting me to continue the "Gun Ghoul" story but the design and story have really caused me to shy away from doing anymore of the series. This is mainly due to the fact that many believe that I am the one copying my design from all these others and I just don't like that as an artist.

This leaves me in weird position because the book could be successful. It has a fan base but I just can't get over the fact that it irritates me now and I don't really know how or what to do about it.

So we will see I guess. I tried to redesign the character a couple times but nothing really comes close to the first design. It would be nice if lightning would strike twice. That would make things so much easier. LOL

No comments: