Thursday, June 29, 2017

Creating something of value-Part 1



When I first got into the comic industry way back in 1995 my goal was to create my own characters and books. I was not an artist that wanted to ever do Marvel or DC characters at all. I loved them but never really wanted to work on them. I felt the desire to do my thing. This desire was probably driven by the fact that Image Comics had just begun and I loved everything they did. It was like a breath of fresh air.

My first book was called "Grimm". It was a super hero book based on half alien half human bounty hunter of sorts. Way before Marvel's "Civil War" I had created my universe where the government made super heroes register and most heroes had to work for government contractors, or the government, if they wanted to use their powers. Now those that did not register were hunted down by characters like "Damion Grimm".  The book had been picked up by a company called "Samson Comics" who was affiliated with Image Comics at the time. Needless to say, like many books back then, the company went under and the original story done by some great and talented artist was never seen. A very sad thing because the book was before its time in the industry. 

Now the "Grimm" project has been rebooted several times and just never has been able to gain momentum and now the concept seems a little dated because the subject matter has been covered. I still love book, and always will, because it was my first project and the characters are very dear to me. Whether or not I can bring a new fresh take on it, or not, is still something I will have to figure out. 

My second project was called "Techlore". This was a book I created in the hopes that I would have a creation that I could pretty much do whatever I wanted to do in it. The book is set in the future where magic and mythical characters have been released back into our world but due to how they were released man could only access magic now through technology. This book starred a female lead who was a bounty hunter, see a trend here, who was tasked with saving a young boy from a group of Dark Elves who desired to use him to send humans into the Avalon Realm in which they had been banished to for so many years. This book was picked up by "Blindwolf Comics" which was run by Franco, who is a writer for DC comics, and other titles, he really went on to do some big things, but the book was published with a mini ashcan but did not go on beyond that until just recently when I published it with "Alpha Dog Studios". 

The reaction to the book was not as great as I had hoped. I think it is a book that can do some great things but I think the female lead in comic books has come to an end. Just way too many female leads. So if I ever do anything else with the book I will have to change the direction and give it a different lead. Right now I just have no desire to do anything with it. Pushing it for so long, since 1997, has just worn me out and given me a bad taste for the product. 

This is the end of part 1. A little of my background in what I have created. Tomorrow I will go over my later years creating and on Saturday try and give some points on what I think helps you create something of value and not just a splash in the pan. 

No comments: