Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Direction



This year is flying by. I can't believe it is already May and almost the middle of it. Wow.

Not really a lot to update everyone on. I have really had issues with drawing lately. Not sure why. For some reason I just lack direction when it comes to a project that I actually want to pencil. I have several books coming out through Alpha Dog Studios this summer but none that I actually penciled. It is kind of crazy. I have all these concepts and yet none of them interest me enough to spend the time to sit down and draw the thing. Maybe I am just lazy. I don't know. I think some of it has to do with the state of the industry. I looked through a new previews book and just was over whelmed by the amount of comics trying to make it into shops. Just nuts.

Also, some other business news came down about print cost and such for our books and we just can't win for losing. The price is just so high that no matter how we sell them we aren't going to make a huge return. Which sucks. I do not look at things like most folks that we do comics because we love it, not that I don't love it, but you should never go into a business thinking you aren't going to make money. You just can't keep funneling money into a bottomless pit.

So, that kind of leads me to my title; direction. I just don't know what to commit to with my books. And what I mean by that is what to basically handle all the chores on because I can't really afford to pay someone to work on another title.

I would be curious to hear what everyone else thinks about it. What direction are you taking and if you are a fan of mine, what direction you would like to see me take.

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great year so far.

5 comments:

Chad Lawrence said...

Sorry to hear that man, hope things get better. And when things look bleak I try to just keep pushing forward and hope God takes care of things along the way

Will Caligan said...

Thanks buddy. It is kind of weird because I have several projects coming to print this month but none that I have penciled. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. Means a lot to me.

Tumi "Dirty Harry" Dolamo said...

That's pretty rough. I knew the comic book industry was competitive but I didn't know that there was such a massive wall to overcome, as well.

This may be a bit forward of me, but as someone looking for any way into the industry, I'd be willing to offer my services in any way, free of charge, just to get some experience and exposure. If you have concepts or any sort of artwork you would to employ someone to work on, I'm your guy. That is, if you deem me worthy...

Tumi "Dirty Harry" Dolamo said...

That's pretty rough. I knew the comic book industry was competitive but I didn't know that there was such a massive wall to overcome, as well.

This may be a bit forward of me, but as someone looking for any way into the industry, I'd be willing to offer my services in any way, free of charge, just to get some experience and exposure. If you have concepts or any sort of artwork you would to employ someone to work on, I'm your guy. That is, if you deem me worthy...

Will Caligan said...

Tumi I would love to get your help on some stuff. Your work is pretty tight.