Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tools of the trade


I know it has been a while since my last post. I have been pretty busy with work and I also caught some type of flu crap that took me out of my flow for a week. I am still a little congested but feel a lot better.

I have been thinking a lot lately on the tools of the trade and how they influence my art. Sometimes I feel as though I am so worried with using the tools that I am told are "industry standards" that I allow it to interfere with me actually producing art that I enjoy doing. Why do you have to ink with a quill pen or micron? Why can't you use what makes your art look best to you? Why do you have to have perfect anatomy? I firmly believe that sometimes it is the mistakes that separate you from other artist.

Now in saying all that I am not saying that you don't have to learn the foundations of art. I just think I am at a point where I don't what to be trapped by "The Tools of the Trade". I want to get out of my box and use whatever makes my art look good. If that means inking with a sharpie then by George that is what I ink with and have fun. I don't know. Maybe I am growing as an artist or maybe I am just getting to old to try and learn all these crazy techniques with all these different tools.

What do you think?

6 comments:

Mike Crichlow said...

I agree. Do what works for you. That's why I use Paint Shop Pro while EVERYONE else uses Photoshop. The programs do the same thing, but I'm more comfortable in PSP, so I use that.

Learn what the standard is, and then use whatever tools you want to create art of the same caliber... and have fun! Cheers! ^_^

Texican3k said...

Well said! It took me forever to realize you can draw with whatever tools you can afford. Some cheaper pens, inks, & papers will do as good as the expensive stuff. You learn along the way what the good stuff is & what the crappy stuff is. Best of all, you learn to adapt and still get good results.

Edward Ernest said...

Looks Awesome.You've got great stuff! Hey, If you have time to stop by my blog please do and drop a comment on what you think!

trialsze said...

Thanks everyone.

Mike-Yeah, that is what I am leaning towards now. I think as an artist we should not put ourselves in a box.

Texican3k-Thanks so much. I am not sure why art supplies are so freakin expensive. Most artist don't make crap. Again thanks for the kind support.

Edward Ernest-Thanks so much for the kind words on my work. I really appreciate it. I stopped by and your work rocks my friend.

Thanks again everyone.

croquisman said...

Excellent!

star43 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.