Sunday, July 19, 2009

Art is subjective, this is something to remember.


As of late I really have struggled with purpose and substance. I have taken inventory of my life and have wondered if I made the right choice of becoming an artist. I have really been pretty hard on myself and how little I have grown in the last year or so. Granted there have been issues in my life that contribute to my lack of growth but I also have to wonder if my desire is mainly to blame.

Then I thought, well how does one judge growth in the art field? Is it the amount of work I get? How my work is accepted by others? Or is it personal? The only answer I could come up with is that art is subjective. What is good to some, others may not find good at all. I really work in a field that can change in a blink of an eye. What is hot today can be cold product tomorrow.

So, I think that I am just going to have to try and be more objective to myself. Allow time and give myself some positive treatment and not always push so hard. We can only grow as fast as we can grow. It isn't so much the destination as what you learn along the way.

4 comments:

Mike Crichlow said...

I hear ya, Will. Life is a funny thing and we're all just trying our best in it. I Look forward to seeing your future stuff. Keep pushing, man. The sky's the limit! :)

trialsze said...

Thanks so much buddy. Right back at ya.

James Snelgrove said...

I don't like Skottie Young's art, but everyone I know seems to worship him.
Art IS subjective, but I think a solid argument could be made for technical proficiency being measurable.

trialsze said...

Yeah, James, I use to be one of those guys who loved Skottie's work but I am not into the new stuff he is doing.

And I do agree with you on the art is subjective but there is a technical proficiency being there as well. I think that is what seperates outstanding artist to efficient artist. I think everyone can learn the technical side but I think it takes talent to throw you over that line.